What are you running from?
Foundations is a work-in-progress interactive fiction game about the founding of the small town of Crosshollow, Colorado. Set in the turn-of-the-century American West, you play as an otherworldly being with power over perception on the run from an ancient enemy. Keep your companion safe, uncover sinister secrets, and remember what brought you here in the first place. The demo currently contains the entirety of chapters 1 and 2.
In this update...
- Spend some quality time with your tether
- Enjoy the Rocky Mountains scenery
- Spy on suspicious strangers
- Go job hunting
- Play a game of chess
- Get a little bit too drunk
Take on the role of The Watcher, an ancient incorporeal being stuck on Earth. To maintain your link to the physical world you must have a “tether” to a human- a psychic bond that can only be broken by death. And death is always close at hand, as you are being pursued by another of your kind- somebody with a grudge and infinite patience to take out his revenge.
Alongside your most recent tether, Tobias, you have been traveling around North America and staying far from your pursuer. Short on cash, the two of you find yourselves hiding out in the remote mining towns of the Colorado mountains. The people here are not quite as they seem, however- and as tensions rise in the community and your pursuer draws near, you find yourself at the center of a conflict of both rural and cosmic proportions.
- You are an observer. Play from the perspective of your tether and use your powers to overlook other characters and change how events unfold.
- You influence the people around you. Your choices determine the outcomes of the story and the relationships between the major characters.
- You have power over perception. Use your powers as an extra-dimensional being to change how those around you perceive reality, but choose carefully. Power draws you closer to the Abyss.
- Your manifestation matters. The appearance you choose to project when you appear before humans determines whether you are seen as an otherworldly horror or a guiding light.
- Your history is what led you here. Unlock memories to understand your distant past and remember how you got here.
For more information on the game, you can follow my development blog. To send me suggestions or bug reports, you can message me on Tumblr or send an email to email@example.com.